Skip to content Skip to sidebar Skip to footer

What you need to know about Coronavirus in Hull West & Hessle

Constituents have understandably been in touch with me with questions and concerns about the Coronavirus or COVID-19 pandemic. The best resource for finding out how Coronavirus might effect you, if you have symptoms or not, is the dedicated NHS FAQ page.

If you think that you may have Coronavirus, or have been in touch with someone that may have it, please use the Coronavirus NHS 111 service for advice.

To assist the NHS in helping people that need care most urgently, please use their online services (instead of phoning) where possible. Please do not visit GPs and other NHS facilities if you want advice on Coronavirus.

My Updates about Coronavirus

These are the actions that my team and I are taking to prepare for and help with handling the Coronavirus in Hull West & Hessle:

  • Received briefings in parliament from the government, scientists and clinicians;
  • Asked the Secretary of State for Health a question about the Coronavirus and how children on free school meals will be provided for in case of school shutdown ;
  • Published information about the precautions my staff are taking to ensure continued service delivery to constituents on personal, local and national issues.

Coronavirus FAQs

What are the symptoms of Coronavirus?

The NHS has identified the following symptoms of coronavirus:

  • A dry cough
  • A high temperature
  • Shortness of breath

It’s possible to have these symptoms but not have Coronavirus. You might have a cold, the flu or another common illness instead.

You are unlikely to have Coronavirus unless you have been in close contact with someone diagnosed with coronavirus, or been to a high-risk country or area in the last 2 weeks (info below).

If you believe you may have the Coronavirus, please contact the NHS on 111 for advice. 

Does the Coronavirus only affect older people, or are others at risk?

People of all ages can catch the Coronavirus, and all can help in preventing its spread and helping vulnerable people. The best way to help is to make sure that you wash your hands with soap/sanitiser frequently.

Older people, and those with pre-existing health conditions, are more at risk of severe cases of Coronavirus. If you belong to these groups and think you may have Coronavirus, please contact the NHS on 111. 

Where are safe places to get information about the Coronavirus?

Spreading misinformation won’t help us protect against the Coronavirus, but unfortunately, it is very easily done.

These are the best places to get safe and reliable information about the Coronavirus. If you see information online that looks sensational or incorrect, please report it (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram).

This page, and my Facebook page, will be updated daily and uses the NHS and Gov. website for information about the Coronavirus.

What can I do to prevent the spread of Coronavirus?

The best way to help and stay healthy is to follow the advice of the NHS.

Right now, that means washing your hands with soap/sanitiser frequently and making sure you catch coughs and sneezes in a tissue and throw that in the bin ASAP.

If you are showing symptoms of Coronavirus, or have been in contact with someone that has been diagnosed with the virus, please take steps to self-isolate and contact the NHS on 111

I’ve just returned from abroad. Should I self isolate?

NHS advice is to stay at home and contact 111 for further information if you have been to any of the following places in the last 14 days:

Cambodia, China, Hong Kong, Iran, Italy, Japan, Laos, Macau, Malaysia, Myanmar (Burma), Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan, Tenerife – only the H10 Costa Adeje Palace Hotel, Thailand and Vietnam.

Should I keep going to work or sending my children to school?

Currently, there are no plans to suspend or close schools. If you have or care for someone with, a pre-existing health condition please check with your school if you are worried about sending your child to school. I asked the Health Secretary about this on March 11th.

Some businesses may choose to adopt a work-from-home schedule for employees. It is best to check with your business or employer for advice on this.

To maintain the full-time capacity of my constituency office, my team splitting time between the office and their homes over the coming weeks.

Should I continue to use public transport, attend mass gatherings or visit crowded areas?

Public transport, mass gathering and crowded areas are safe to use and attend for the majority of people in the UK. You only need to self-isolate (avoiding these places and services) if you have been advised to do so by the NHS.

Some organisers may choose to cancel their events in the coming weeks. Please be sure to check in advance if you are planning on attending an event soon.

How will health professionals help if they believe you may have the Coronavirus?

If once you have spoken to 111, the NHS believes you may have the Coronavirus they will put you in touch with a health team that perform a diagnostic test. This could involve taking a sample (mucus, blood or stool). To prevent spread, the NHS health team may choose to isolate you until the diagnosis is complete.

While there are no current medicines or vaccines for the Coronavirus, the NHS may be able to provide you with medication and techniques to help with some of the symptoms.

Go to Top

Subscribe for the