Skip to content Skip to footer

Parliament has been dissolved until after the General Election and I am no longer an MP.

Need Advice?

Frequently Asked Questions

My role as your elected Member of Parliament is to support local people and groups and to raise issues that affect my constituency of Hull West and Hessle with the government.

Am I your MP?

Please note that due to strict Parliamentary protocol, I am not able to make representations for anyone who does not live within the Hull West and Hessle constituency. If you do not live in the constituency, you should approach your own MP for assistance.

You can check who your local MP is by entering your postcode here:


Many people contact me for support with issues personal to them and although I would like to be able to help everyone, there are some issues that I am unable to assist with:

  • I cannot interfere with decisions made by the courts
  • I cannot provide legal advice or assist with legal matters
  • I cannot provide immigration advice or request that decisions are made more quickly
  • I cannot compel a housing provider to allocate a property outside of their usual policies and procedures

Cost of Living

If you’re struggling with the cost of living then there are ways to get support. I’ve created this booklet which collates the details of organisations, services and charities that are available to help people manage their finances. Also included are a list of mental health charities based across Hull and East Riding to help people manage their own mental health at this worrying and stressful time. If you live in Hull West and Hessle and cannot find the support you’re looking for then please contact my office.

Worrying About Money Leaflet

Immigration Matters

Although I am unable to provide immigration advice, I am able to contact the Home Office for an update on how an application is progressing. I will need your full name, address, Home Office Reference Number and Date of Birth to enable me to do this.

Council Matters

Many constituents contact me regarding issues that are the responsibility of Hull City Council or East Riding of Yorkshire Council, such as housing allocation, council tax, local services, planning, social services, highways and anti-social behaviour. I can certainly make representations to either council on your behalf but it is important to note that I am independent from the council and cannot compel them to act in a specific way. It may be that your local councillor is best placed to assist you in the first instance. You can find your local councillor here:

With any casework query, I cannot guarantee that I will be able to achieve your desired outcome but I will try my very best to assist you. If I am unable to assist,  I will try my best to signpost you for relevant support from another organisation

How to Contact Me

The best way to raise a casework query with me is to send an email to

Please include your full name and address and an outline of your concerns. One of my team will then be in contact to discuss how I can best assist or to gather further information. My office can also be contacted by telephone on 01482 219211 between 9:30am – 5pm Monday to Friday.

If you would like to attend one of my surgeries to discuss your concerns, please contact my office via telephone to make an appointment.

Please find below a list of helplines if you require immediate help.

Emergency Services:


Urgent/Immediate Danger: 999

No Immediate Danger: 101


Emergency: 999

Non-emergency: 111

Local Foodbank Information: or 01482 224783

Homelessness: 0800 066 2169/01482 300 304  (Hull Residents) or (01482) 393939 (Hessle Residents)

Citizens Advice Bureau: 0800 144 88 48

Hull City Council Support Welfare Hotline – 01482 300 303 (Housing Benefit, Council Tax Reduction and Welfare Benefits)

The Samaritans – 0330 094 5717

Let’s Talk – 0800 915 5409

Mental Health Advice and Support Line 24/7 – 0800 138 0990

Mental Health Wellbeing Coaches –  08009177752

Go to Top

Subscribe for the